Wednesday, June 24, 2009

The Return of Coalesce and other goodies



The return of Coalesce wasn't a theme per se, but today's program opened with two songs off of their stunning new album Ox, their first one since 1999s 0:12 Revolution in Just Listening. Coalesce, along with Converge and Botch, are the what I consider to be the three most important hardcore bands to come from the late 1990s/early 2000s and influence countless pale imitators. Another minor theme in today's program was Elliott Smith, for his music was featured in the form of Nadja's cover of "Needle in the Hay," and from Elliott Smith himself with "Ballad of Big Nothing." Overall, I was rather pleased with today's program, and I think it turned out to be among my best. Stream it from cjam.ca if you get the chance.

The playlist:
1) Coalesce- The Plot Against My Love (Ox)
2) Coalesce- In My Wake, For My Own (Ox)
3) Lithica- Retaliation on Heaven (Invokation of Satan Within)
4) Nadja- Needle in the Hay [Elliott Smith Cover] (When I see the Sun Always Shines on TV)
5) Entombed- Living Dead (Clandestine)
6) Field Assembly- Out of the Arms (Broadshades & Ephemera)
7) Nick Drake- River Man (Five Leaves Left)
8) Elliott Smith- Ballad of Big Nothing (Either/Or)
9) Luxury Pond- Caving In (S/T)
10) The Peace Leeches- Safe Sex (Roygbiv)
11) Tangerine Dream- Betrayal (Sorcerer Original Soundtrack)
12) Black Dice- Nite Creme (Repo)
13) Drumbo- Take me Higher (Def3 & Factor)
14) Plex- Better Days (Brainstorm)
15) Slakah- Enjoy Ya Self V2
16) A Tribe Called Quest- Butter (The Low-End Theory)

No comments:

Post a Comment