Monday, April 27, 2009

The Final Dark Days of Don Caballero and other goodies. Playlist for April 27, 2009

Though I should probably give Don Caballero more than just one song as a means of focusing on the story by Fred Weaver, I am sharing this over concern it might go away sooner than I can. Below is Fred Weaver's account of the first incarnation of Don Caballero's disastrous final tour. It is one of the best pieces of rock journalism, and I suggest everyone reads it, even if you are not a fan of Don Cab, there is something to get from the story. Below are a few of my favourite excerpts:

"He was impressed that my van was new-ish (or at least had a fully functioning passenger seat and didn't leak exhaust into the cabin, unlike the Don Cab van)."

"Once we get in the van, I realize that personality conflict will begin less than half an hour after waking up."

"We- me, Don Cab, my van- have become but one of many objects sliding across an ice covered roadway...The front left 10 inches- 1o inches!- of the van impacted the right rear of a small Buick van."

Here is a link to the entire tour diary: http://www.swanfungus.com/2007/04/don-caballero-final-tour-diary.html

The playlist today featured many jazz and industrial acts. KMFDM, a band that originally broke up ten years ago (but has since reformed), released their 'final' album, Adios ten years ago, and released Skold Vs KMFDM earlier this year. Skold vs KMFDM is a collaboration between the current KMFDM lineup and former member Tim Skold, who has since went on to work solo (and was in Marilyn Manson's band).

I would also like to congratulate all the winner's of the CJAM jammies, particularly the guys from Scaledown Radio for nabbing 'best new show,' my friend Brandon Webb for snagging Best Electronic Program with New Pulse, all the women from CJAM's Women's Radio Collective for winning best genre-focus program with Milk and Vodka, and everyone in the music variety block. To my surprise, I ended up as the runner-up in the 'best music variety' category, and I am grateful for everyone who voted. I don't know if Juxtaposition Jukebox is really the runner-up, because all the shows in the 'best music variety' category are excellent, and each has their own charm that cannot be replicated elsewhere. Congratulations to Verne Smith for winning 'best music variety' for Sin City Shuffle, and cheers to everyone in the music variety block for producing great shows.

Onto the playlist, (one song is dedicated to friends of mine, guess which one it is and you win... a smile from Kyle).

Setlist:
1) Angelo Badalamenti- Blue Velvet Main Titles (Blue Velvet Soundtrack)
2) Skold vs. KMFDM- Bloodsport (Skold vs. KMFDM)
3) KMFDM- D.I.Y. (Adios)
4) Cabaret Voltaire- Spread the Virus (Red Mecca)
5) Skinny Puppy- Testure (VIVISectVI)
6) D.A.G.- As Usual (D.A.G.)
7) Alice Coltrane- Blue Nile (Ptah, The El Daoud)
8) Simon Fisk- Don't Throw Stones (Vague Hotels)
9) Davis/Ulruch/Bauman- Baghwan Business (Urs Blochinger Tribute)
10) The Lounge Lizards- Incident on South Street (The Lounge Lizards)
11) PJ Harvey & John Parish- Leaving California (A Woman A Man Walked By)
12) The Ghost is Dancing- Louis Riel (Battles On)
13) Don Caballero- You Drink A Lot of Coffee For a Teenager (American Don)
14) Nadja- Only Shallow [My Bloody Valentine cover] (When I See the Sun Always Shines on TV)

No comments:

Post a Comment