Monday, March 30, 2009

Hymn to the Immortal Wind, Playlist for March 30, 2009

Today's show was enjoyable, albeit sloppy at times. While I announced that the great Benny Dreadful of Boderlands Radio was heading to Mexico, I have since been informed that he will be staying. This is great news, since Boderlands is amazing and one of the many great things about CJAM. I also didnt get the chance to congradulate CJAM on attaining protected status, and securing the 99.1 signal. I want to extend many thanks to all those who voiced their support for CJAM, and enabling great programs like Boderlands, (and subpar ones like Juxtaposition Jukebox :P) to stay on the air. Thanks a million. I also want to thank my friend Brandon Webb for filling in for me last week and doing a splendid job, have a glass of Gin (perhaps courtesy of Cobalt).

The playlist itself was bordered around Mono's stunning new album Hymn to the Immortal Wind, my early front-runner for album of the year. The opening and closing tracks started and ended the program, with great new music from Lotus Plaza and Cobalt, and old gems from Laibach and Nitzer Ebb (and cheese from Modern Talking). I would highly recommend Deer Hunter and shoegaze fans check out Lotus Plaza. It is the side-project of Deerhunter's Lockett Pundt and it sounds a lot like Slowdive- Souvlaki (one of my top 5 favourite albums of all-time). Similarly, Cobalt- Gin is the realy frontrunner for metal album of the year, and I will go as far as saying that Cobalt is the future of heavy music.

The playlist:
1) Mono- Ashes in the Snow (Hymn to the Immortal Wind)
2) Lotus Plaza- Quicksand (The Floodlight Channels)
3) Great Lake Swimmers- Concrete Heart (Lost Channels)
4) Andrew Vincent- Rotten Pear (Rotten Pear)
5) Modern talking- Brother Louie (Ready for Romance)
6) Trans-X- 3D Dance (Living on Video)
7) Fuck Buttons- Bright Tomorrow (Street Horrrsing)
8) Laibach- Drzava (Laibach)
9) Nitzer Ebb- Murderous (That Total Age)
10) Cobalt- Gin (Gin)
11) Ben Somer- Lies in July (The Last One)
12) Rufus Wainwright- Everybody Knows [Leonard Cohen cover] (I'm Your Man)
13) Mono- Everlasting Light (Hymn to the Immortal Wind)

Here's the video for Modern Talking's Brother Louie. So hilariously cheesy in so many ways. For example, why is he playing a guitar (an unplugged one) when there is no guitar in the song.

No comments:

Post a Comment